Member Spotlight: Elizabeth Rowell
Elizabeth Rowell, Freshman Admissions Counselor, Lander University
Elizabeth Rowell has been in the profession for a year and half and transitioned to her role after graduating from Lander Unviersity in Greenwood, SC. Chelsea Marsh, SC Communication Liasison, interviewed Elizabeth for the member spotlight and below are her responses.
- How did you get started in College Admissions? I got started in college admissions right after my undergrad years at Lander. I was unsure of what career path I wanted to take at the time and did some research. I had some people reach out to me and tell me that they thought I would do great in higher education, specifically admissions. I was also involved in several clubs and organizations at Lander and that also helped me to come back and want to work for my alma mater. They had a position opening up at Lander a few months later and I applied.
- What is your favorite part of your job? My favorite part of my job is working with students to help them realize that they can go on to higher education and get a degree after their high school years. I also really love admitting/accepting students and being able to tell them. Seeing the smile on their face when I tell them they have been accepted is unforgettable.
- How has SACAC played a role in your career? SACAC has played a role in my career by helping me meet people all over who share the same profession as me. I went to the Newcomers Annual Meeting this past summer in New Orleans, LA and had the opportunity to network with other admissions employees. It allowed me to learn more about my profession.
- What is your best piece of advice for someone new to the profession? My best piece of advice to give someone who is new to this specific profession is to always remain open-minded and be willing to learn new things. In higher education, specifically the admissions world you are always learning different tasks and techniques to better help your students succeed.
- When you are not working, what do you like to do? When I am not working I like to hangout with my dog and my fiancé. I also like to just relax and watch some of my favorite tv shows or go out to dinner with some friends.