July 24, 2016 – July 27, 2016
Dry Run is an annual workshop designed to provide practical experience for new admission professionals who are currently employed by a college or university. The program provides training in relevant basic skills and discussion of pertinent issues and situations encountered in the admission profession. Participants will attend presentations, engage in case studies, work within small-group settings, and participate in mock-situation settings. This is a residential program and participants are required to attend all sessions and activities.
Participants will be assisted by volunteer “faculty.” Dry Run faculty consists of seasoned college counseling professionals from a variety of secondary and post-secondary institutions. Dry Run faculty members consist of SACAC members that are leaders in our profession that have displayed multiple years of experience in a variety of key subject areas that are relevant to admissions and success in our field. During Dry Run, faculty will lead program sessions and share their expertise and diverse experiences with our future colleagues.
In addition, participants will break out in small group mentoring sessions with faculty members. These sessions allow for more in-depth discussion, question and answer, and application of the material presented in conference sessions. The program culminates with participants giving a short "dry run" presentation on their institution.
The Dry Run faculty application is now closed. Selected faculty members will be notified via email in early March and are encouraged to attend the SACAC Annual Conference, April 9-12 in Miami, FL.
- Paid Nothing to Walk Backwards: Best Practices when Working with Student Volunteers
- College Doesn't Grow on Trees
- DIVERSITY: Privilege, Access, Responsibility
- Ethics and College Admissions: Statement of Principles of Good Practice
- Ethics and College Admission: How They Go Together
- High School Counselor Relations
- Avoid Dysentery, Ford the River with All of Your Oxen, and Trade Your Wares: How to Master Travel Like an OregonTrailer
- PACK Your Bags: International Admissions Recruitment
- OCD: Managing the Balance between Admissions and Athletics
- Party People Planning Events
- Public Speaking 101: How to speak to a group of people and not faint
- Reese's Cup of Admission: There's No One Way to Read a File
- Technology = Magic
- Creative Solutions and Relationship Building: The cornerstone of small school recruitment strategies
- Under The Big Top: The Extravaganza of Large School Recruiting
- Part of the Pack: The Professional Life of an Admissions Counselor
- Transfer Admissions: Experienced and Seeking to Relocate
Dry Run 2016 will be held at NC State University, July 24-27, 2016. Registration for participants will be available April 2016.
This includes materials, lodging, and the majority of meals.
Questions about Dry Run? Email: [email protected].
2016 Dry Run Co-Chairs: